Harbor Point Academy
Education is an integral component of the total treatment program at youth residential facilities. Students who meet admission criteria to the facility are immediately enrolled into the education program at Harbor Point Behavioral Health Center in Portsmouth, Virginia.
Class sizes are small with a low staff-to-student ratio. Students are taught by general and special education teachers who are licensed by the State of Virginia and hold course content and disability specific endorsements. Educational assessments are utilized to evaluate each student’s ability to perform appropriately in a school setting.
Goals of the Education Program
- Maintain academic progress by meeting educational requirements in accordance with home school district’s criteria
- Provide individualized education services that address the resident’s academic and developmental needs
- Provide a continuum of services to local education agencies
- Ensure students’ academic preparation upon return to their school
Components of the Education Program
- Therapeutic education model
- Audiological screening and contracted speech and occupational therapy services
- Participation in multidisciplinary team meetings to review progress every thirty days
- Self-contained model with collaboration among teachers; multi-grade classrooms.
- Behavioral support within the classroom with consistent behavior management
- Coordinate and collaborate with LEA to ensure federal law and IEP compliance
- Work experiences available
- Licensed by the Virginia Department of Education to service exceptionalities of ED, LD, OHI, and ID.
- Accredited by the Virginia Association of Independent Specialized Education Facilities (VAISEF).