Harbor Point Academy
Education is an integral component of the total treatment program at youth residential facilities. Students who meet admission criteria to the facility are immediately enrolled in the Harbor Point Behavioral Health Center education program.
Class sizes are small with a low staff-to-student ratio. Students are taught by general and special education teachers who are licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Educational assessments are utilized to evaluate each student’s ability to perform appropriately in a school setting.
Goals of the Education Program
- Maintain academic progress by meeting educational requirements in accordance with home school district’s criteria
- Provide individualized education services that address the resident’s academic and developmental needs
- Provide a continuum of services to local education agencies
- Ensure students’ academic preparation upon return to their school
Components of the Education Program
- Therapeutic education model
- Audiological screening and contracted speech and occupational therapy services
- Participation in multidisciplinary team meetings to review progress every thirty days
- Educational model with collaboration among teachers; multi-grade classrooms
- Behavioral support within the classroom with consistent positive behavior management
- Coordination and collaboration with home LEAs to ensure federal law and IEP compliance
- Work experiences available
- Licensed by the Virginia Department of Education to service exceptionalities of ED, LD, OHI, and ID.
- Accredited by the Virginia Association of Independent Specialized Education Facilities (VAISEF).
- Accredited by Cognia (NCA CASI, NWAC, and SACS CASI.)